Saturday, April 16, 2011

When I'm just not enough

After the February 100km Challenge, I found myself with less motivation. My weekly kms dropped significantly. Even though I had the half marathon to train for, I really wasn't putting in the effort I should've been (and wanted to).

Yes, my half marathon was a success, I finished under my goal time, and mentally it was one of my most enjoyable runs, ever. However, before and after, I was a little off my game.

Afterwards I was allowing myself some slack, as I had achieved one of my major running goals, a goal I've had for over 5 years. But that was still no excuse. I meant to go for a run on Tuesday, didn't happen, meant to go for a run on Wednesday, didn't happen. Thursday I believe I only exercised because I had a PT session...

With winter coming up, I know I need more motivation than I can provide myself. I used to be fairly against having work out 'appointments' (group classes or PT sessions), but now I think they are very important to keep me focused and to add structure, which is going to be especially important over the next 5-6 months as I train to do the Melbourne Marathon.

Yesterday I met a guy called Ross, who has a CrossFit gym, B32 Crossfit, in Fyshwick. This came about from my search for a CrossFit gym, however I think I am going to get a lot more from Ross and his gym than I initially expected when searching for a CrossFit gym.

Ross, being an ex elite triathlete, knows a lot about running, and in particular, knows how CrossFit and running can work together.
I'm going to learn a lot from Ross, and hopefully change and improve myself, my running and my fitness for the better. The one thing I am really hoping to get out of training with him and at his gym, is the structure and focus I've been lacking lately. I want to feel accountable, I want to not let people down, and I want to achieve my goals. What I don't want? To make excuses, to slack off over winter, and to stop pushing myself.

Today I headed down to B32 for my first try out session. First up was mobility, which was AMAZING. I want to do this every day. I woke up pretty sore from my Thursday Fran workout, and have been walking around like a robot. I was very worried that this would interfere with the CrossFit workout I had in store. However, after the mobility exercises, I felt so relaxed and so much more flexible.

After this, was the 'warm up'. We did some skipping (something I haven't done in years, and knew it would come up soon). I actually found this to hurt the balls of my feet quite a bit. I suspect this was from doing it in my Frees. I think the more I do it, the easier it will be. We also did some inch worm pushups, which were okay (pleased not too many push ups, my enemy of exercises).

We then moved onto some kettlebells, which was hard work! And then we got prepared to do the REAL hard work.

Today we did anchored sit ups, with 10 jumpy things in between. 50, 40, 30, 20, 10 sit ups. Holy moly. That's a lot of sit ups. This was for time. I wasn't too concerned on going crazy, especially as it was my first workout with these guys. With how I was feeling at the 30 rep point, I was pretty happy just to finish the lot. Phew. Think I managed to do them in 9:01. Amazed at how fast some of the guys can smash them out.

Every time I've done a CrossFit workout, during it, I hate it so much. Absolute hate. However, the feeling afterwards is pretty good. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have done it a second time.

Heading back to B32 on Monday for my next torture session.

No pain, no gain, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment