Saturday, May 7, 2011

10km Tunes

Tomorrow morning I'm running the 10km Mothers Day Classic in Canberra. Competing against some of my work colleagues, I'm pretty keen to smash my 10km PB by a lot.

The last time I ran a 10km outside, was the Sri Chinmoy track, which is a pretty horrific course in terms of hills. I believe I was saying words I don't often say after I ran that one. The time was over 64 minutes with the second 5km being 31 minutes. Not bad considering the hills.

This time, I want to get well and truly under the hour mark. Super ideally I want to get around 55 minutes, but that might be a big ask. Realistically I'm thinking 58 minutes.

I need all the help I can get to reach this goal, so in the past few weeks I've spent quite a bit of time working out a running playlist for the 10km. Normally I run with the same running playlist on shuffle, but not this time. This time each song has a purpose.

Here is the playlist lined up for tomorrow:


Grinspoon - Just Ace
This song was a late addition, it played on the way home from the gym today and I decided it was a good one. Nice and short, fast start to the run.

Pink - Raise Your Glass
I quite like this song to get me started for a run. Not too fast so I'll go too hard to fast, but enough to get me going.

Lady Gaga - Telephone
Had to put a Lady Gaga in, this is my favourite. Not fast enough to be at the end.

The Potbellez - Don't Hold Back (Club Mix)
Nice dancey song to start pushing myself a bit harder.

Sia - Bring Night
"Chase your shadow til the sun goes down"

Rage Against the Machine - No Shelter
First of the RATM songs in the list. Good song to push me a bit faster.

Black Eyed Peas - Pump It
This is one of my old running songs from 2006. One of my all time faves.

Blondie - One Way or Another
I really enjoy running to this song, it came up in one of my recent runs and it was great. Put it at the point where I should be very close to reaching half way.

Rage Against the Machine - Renegades of Funk
Power song to get me past half way. Better be well and truly into the second 5km by the time this song finishes.

Harvey Danger - Flagpole Sitta
To get me going in the second 5km I chose the song that got me so excited in the half marathon that I started singing.

Rage Against the Machine - Bulls on Parade
This is the official start of the power songs. From this point on I should be upping my speed a little.

Kula Shaker - Hush
One of my favourite sprint songs. Nice and quick, in beat and length.

Puff Daddy - Come With Me
I originally had this as my last song of the run, if I don't make 55 minutes. I decided to bring it forward because it's a great beat that gets me going faster. This is the very song that I finished my very first 10km with, back in 2006. Once this song finishes, I should have less than 10 minutes to go.

Muse - Uprising
Great song to get me going. Should easily bring me to my last km.

Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name
My ultimate power song at the moment. I should bring it home in the middle of this song.

If I finish within 58.6 minutes, then that's all I need. But just in case..

Foo Fighters - Monkey Wrench
Last push over the line.

Other songs that come if I have a really bad run and go over an hour:

Sia - Clap Your Hands
Run DMC - It's Like that

No comments:

Post a Comment